Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Diaries of a Fan: Consolidar


In line with my earlier announcement, I am starting my revamped blog with a female fronted band. Plus, they graciously said that it was ok for me to write about them. 

Growing up in a musical family, I place a higher standard to a woman's voice compared to man's. I was blessed to have a mother, sisters and cousins who are well-endowed in the art of singing. It is in this writer's opinion that When the female of species sing/croon, it is undoubtedly easier on the ears as opposed to a man's - which now opens up a plethora of faves and raves. The in-tune and the hopelessly out of tune. But please, do not assume that my emphasis for this piece is on the vocals alone or a nod to the feminists out there. A singer will only be as good as the band that accompanies him or her. It is a knowledge so basic that every fame hungry artist tend to challenge its truth to which only a select few have come out completely victorious. So boys, girls and everyone else in between - I present to you - Consolidar.
 
Born of the South, this band has come to rise well above all the new female fronted bands -- who in an unfortunate psychotic trend -- more or less sound like the next Kat Agrado, Adele or even Armi Millare. Not that I dislike the aforementioned vocalists but I dislike complete and total rip-offs (more of that in the coming entries...like a lot more). It is quite easy to emulate your influences to the point that one starts to sound so much like them. Only the brave dare to deviate.


 This I guess is what drew me these guys. They've managed to throw punk, funk, soul, pop and a some cool jazz into a boiling cauldron and come up with something pretty and awesome. I kid you not. If these guys had a record, it would be something that you could slap on the stereo during a boring date or a relaxing Sunday morning drive (a walk in my case because I don't have a car...yet.) and come out with a better disposition and be as fresh as daisies on a sunny afternoon.

 What's even better is that during their last performance at TSP's 5th year anniversary, they added a keyboardist, Kensan, who now makes their sound fuller than ever and I have to admit that I am enamored to their current sound. Unfortunately, I could not find any of his pictures on their fan page. If you are not into the heavy and loud genres, then this band is a highly recommended listening experience. Kat, Neil, Em and Eunice deserve all the support you good folks could give. For info on the band's skeds and booking information, please check their FB:   http://www.facebook.com/consolidarband



 As for me, I shall be prowling these mean Manila streets ~ hanging about in every and all TSP gigs and other local events I chance upon (with my wife's permission of course. :P) drunk and disorderly with a big bottle of Red Horse in hand -- Johnny Muzikero \m/

p.s: photos grabbed from Consolidar page

No comments:

Post a Comment